SENIOR ENGINEER, PIPELINE (ONSHORE)
1. KEY OBJECTIVES
- Responsible for overseeing overall engineering and interface of onshore pipelines to fulfill the requirements of pre-qualifications, call for tenders & bid evaluations and recommendations to award (RTA). Supervise the Contractor to carry out the detailed engineering, line pipe procurement packages, pipeline coating/anode. Ensure constructability and pre-commission ability on each pipeline. Support interfaces with stakeholders and authority for smooth project execution. Provide trouble shooting solution to concerned parties. Manage pipeline related company provided materials. Promote safety in engineering design. Ensure work tasks executed in accordance with the project strategies, project specifications & procedures, SSHE requirements, and within timeframe while maintaining the highest work quality level.
2. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
Senior Engineer, Pipeline shall be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Be a project focal point for onshore pipeline system design including pipeline engineering, supporting, constructability design and pre-commissioning for Project development.
- Prepare and fulfill the technical requirements of onshore pipelines system to the tendering process from project strategy, shortlist, evaluation until the award.
- Support in preparation of CFT Package, performing technical bid clarification and prepare technical bid evaluation relating with line pipe procurement, coating procurement, and EPCC.
- Oversees/Supervises EPCC Contractors to carry out the detailed engineering, equipment/ material specifications, procurement strategy, pipeline material packages, coating, transportation, and pipeline construction.
- Responsible to ensure that all pipeline engineering works are completed in accordance with the applicable contract(s), specifications, design codes and standards including COMPANY, PETRONAS, and Government requirements and regulations as well as the Project Quality and HSE plan.
- Interface with related discipline such as flow assurance, pipeline risk assessment, safety studies, ALARP, HAZID and HAZOP.
- Supervise and control of pipeline detailed engineering activities. Review engineering activities e.g., wall thickness design, cathodic protection, buoyancy control, end expansion, support design, tie-in design, and all relevant drawings etc.
- Review and verify met-ocean data and other environmental data applicable for pipeline design.
- Review geophysical and geotechnical survey data and reports including verify the data of existing facilities related to pipelines in Project Development project.
- Supervise and provide guidance of preparing project particular specifications for pipeline design, materials, construction, installation, pre-commissioning, and commissioning.
- Ensure the constructability and pre-commission ability in engineering design.
- Participate in the procurement strategies and the procurement processes to obtain the most appropriate vendors to provide the pipeline materials and services. Work includes the bidder list reviews, material specifications, evaluations, service orders/contracts, recommendation, vendor’s inspection, and test plans (ITP), manufacturing progress, logistics, custom clearance, and delivery.
- Support project team to sourcing third party services.
- Supervise and control in fabrication and construction of pipelines e.g., welding procedure specifications and qualifications including repair procedures, welders and welding operators’ qualifications and welding personnel list, NDT procedures and qualifications, field joint coating procedures and qualifications, field joint applicator qualifications.
- Interface and support Offshore team to ensure a consistent design, procurement, construction, installation of the transitional shore approach including pre-commissioning and commissioning.
- Support in interfaces with stakeholders e.g., receiving plant owners, landowners, existing pipelines owners to obtain agreement necessary for project.
- Support in interfaces with authority e.g., DOSH, DOE, in obtaining necessary approval and permits.
- Support Company Site Representatives in trouble shooting.
- Interface with Operation and Maintenance team to ensure the pipelines meeting the desired functionality and maintainability and to ensure smooth transition and handover to operation.
- Monitor and appraise the performance of the contractors. Initiate and implement corrective actions when the performance of the contractor deviates from the project direction/requirements.
- Report the progress of the work to a line supervisor. Identifies the problems, and suggests the appropriate solutions/actions to a line supervisor as necessary.
- Promote and ensure effective implementation of SSHE rules and engineering best practices.
3. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in Mechanical/ Civil/ Engineering or related field.
- Master’s degree is an advantage but not necessary.
- Professional certificate by accredited Bodies/ Associations is an advantage but not necessary.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in onshore pipeline system design.
- Experiences in reviewing pipeline engineering activities e.g., wall thickness design, cathodic protection, buoyancy control, end expansion, support design, tie-in design, and all relevant drawings etc.
- Experienced in high H2S and high CO2 gas contents and involved in material qualification for both carbon steel.
- Experience in high temperature insulated pipeline design
- Effective computer skills in discipline-specific software e.g., MathCAD, PIPESIM, AutoPIPE, Finite element software, etc.
- Familiar with pipeline calculation using spread sheets or other tools
- Have extensive knowledge and familiar with different pipeline design codes e.g., ASME B31.8, ASME 31.4, ISO13623, API 1111, API 1104, and other international codes and standards applicable for Pipeline system design e.g., ISO, NACE, etc.
- Experiences in interfacing with relevant authority e.g. DOSH, DOE.
- Experiences in CFT development and Tendering execution of Offshore/Onshore pipeline interface, gas plant/petrochemical/refinery industry are advantage
- Familiar with PETRONAS operating, and control practices is a plus benefit
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Has Understanding in procurement process is preferable
- Good communication skills to liaise well with customer and government agencies
- Excellent in communication and presentation skills, coordination and organizing skills with ability to work with minimal supervision and liaise effectively and efficiently with other team members within/outside Department.
- Demonstrate high level of interpersonal skills and integrity
- Stakeholder Management skills - Proven ability to build strong working relationship with internal and external parties
- Experiences Field development planning team, and all functional groups within or outside department including contractors, joint-venture partners, and related authorities.
- Individual must be capable of working independently, efficiently, and competent in carrying out duties.
- Internal: Relevant Depts in PLS
- External: Petronas MPM, PCSB and Contractors as well as other external Authorities, if required.